Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Spoken Word Coordinating - Job Description

Today at the CJSF Board Meeting, Des asked that the coordinators keep some sort of diary describing what we do in our jobs. When I got home, I saw this line in a book that encapsulates part of it:

"Hospitality is a productive crisis in which we work constantly toward reconceptualizing our thinking and reconsidering our values..."
-Rauna Kuokkanen, in Reshaping the University: Responsibility, Indigenous Epistemes, and the Logic of the Gift, p. 163 (UBC Press, 2007)


When someone walks in the door of the station (or when I meet them outside of the station as a representative of it), my job as coordinator is to see them, to start to recognize them, and to help engage those aspects of them that can be part of and make use of the radio station to engage with themselves and with others. So I have to know what the station has to offer, or how to find out, how to make radio in its many aspects, how to converse and listen, but I also have to be open to the probability that this stranger or member has something unique to add to the station, in perspectives, talents, knowledge, etc.

No comments: